[dkim-milter-discuss] internal error from libdkim: ar_addquery() failed
Benny Baumann
2012-03-27 19:00:40 UTC

I'm having some trouble with the dkim-milter package. Currently I'm
using the package from Debian Testing (2.8.2). I repeatedly get the
following error in my logs:

Mar 25 23:00:42 server dkim-filter[1337]: FEDCBA987654: dkim_eoh():
internal error from libdkim: ar_addquery() for
`20120113._domainkey.gmail.com' failed

Looking up this domain using dig shows the result get's truncated:

$ dig in txt 20120113._domainkey.gmail.com
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> in txt 20120113._domainkey.gmail.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;20120113._domainkey.gmail.com. IN TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
20120113._domainkey.gmail.com. 258 IN TXT "k=rsa\;
p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA1Kd87/UeJjenpabgbFwh+eBCsSTrqmwIYYvywlbhbqoo2DymndFkbjOVIPIldNs/m40KF+yzMn1skyoxcTUGCQs8g3FgD2Ap3ZB5DekAo5wMmk4wimDO+U8QzI3SD0"
"7y2+07wlNWwIt8svnxgdxGkVbbhzY8i+RQ9DpSVpPbF7ykQxtKXkv/ahW3KjViiAH+ghvvIhkx4xYSIc9oSwVmAl5OctMEeWUwg8Istjqz8BZeTWbf41fbNhte7Y+YqZOwq1Sd0DbvYAD9NOZK9vlfuac0598HY+vtSBczUiKERHv1yRbcaQtZFh5wtiRrN04BLUTD21MycBX5jYchHjPY/wIDAQAB"

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
gmail.com. 80381 IN NS ns2.google.com.
gmail.com. 80381 IN NS ns4.google.com.
gmail.com. 80381 IN NS ns3.google.com.
gmail.com. 80381 IN NS ns1.google.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.google.com. 79281 IN A 216.239.32.10
ns2.google.com. 79281 IN A 216.239.34.10
ns3.google.com. 79281 IN A 216.239.36.10
ns4.google.com. 79281 IN A 216.239.38.10

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar 27 20:53:50 2012
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 605

When doing a dump with tcpdump the full response needed in the request
is recieved in the UDP response. As discussed in
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.sendmail.dkim-milter.general/203
no TCP fallback is necessary (and none is tried) but also this packet is
dropped as invalid (as I found while I tried to debug the issue.

Is there any known solution or work around for this problem?

Best regards,
BenBE.
Scott Kitterman
2012-03-27 20:05:21 UTC
Post by Benny Baumann
I'm having some trouble with the dkim-milter package. Currently I'm
using the package from Debian Testing (2.8.2).
Switch to opendkim. dkim-milter is dead. The opendkim package in Testing
(which I co-maintain) has the current release. If you find that fixes your
problems, please file a bug against dkim-milter. It'll help me get it removed
so it doesn't get released with Wheezy.

Scott K
Murray S. Kucherawy
2012-03-27 21:49:19 UTC
I'm having some trouble with the dkim-milter package. Currently I'm
using the package from Debian Testing (2.8.2).
Switch to opendkim. dkim-milter is dead. The opendkim package in
Testing (which I co-maintain) has the current release. If you find
that fixes your problems, please file a bug against dkim-milter. It'll
help me get it removed so it doesn't get released with Wheezy.
+1. And if you find it doesn't fix your problem, please report it via the SourceForge bug tracker for opendkim and we'll take a look.

The dkim-milter package's last release was v2.8.3 in 2009, and it has been unmaintained since then.

-MSK
Benny Baumann
2012-03-27 22:14:51 UTC

and thanks for the quick reply!
I'm having some trouble with the dkim-milter package. Currently I'm
using the package from Debian Testing (2.8.2).
Switch to opendkim. dkim-milter is dead. The opendkim package in
Testing (which I co-maintain) has the current release. If you find
that fixes your problems, please file a bug against dkim-milter. It'll
help me get it removed so it doesn't get released with Wheezy.
+1. And if you find it doesn't fix your problem, please report it via the SourceForge bug tracker for opendkim and we'll take a look.
Just checked by updating my server configuration to use opendkim instead
of dkim-milter and it seems to work just fine (couldn't test all the
detail yet, but looks good so far). Had to manually port some settings
from dkim-milter to opendkim (basically the socket in the start script
config and the used keys for the daemon config) but that was yet another
finger exercise at getting it work.
Post by Murray S. Kucherawy
The dkim-milter package's last release was v2.8.3 in 2009, and it has been unmaintained since then.
I guessed having a look at the SF.net project page.

Will file a bug with the Debian package when I get around to it.
Post by Murray S. Kucherawy
-MSK
BenBE.