[dkim-milter-discuss] dkim-milter protocol documentation
Elanchezhiyan Elango
2010-04-22 00:57:49 UTC

I am trying to write a script that would directly communicate to the
dkim-filter process through its socket using the milter protocol. My script
would essentially act like sendmail. In the process I am finding some
command 's', 'i' which don't seem to be documented as a part of milter
protocol. Is there a place where I can find the meaning of these response
commands from dkim-milter?

Thanks,
Elan.
Murray S. Kucherawy
2010-04-22 04:16:51 UTC
A Google search for "milter protocol" produced some highly useful results.

You might also look at the "miltertest" tool in the OpenDKIM package. It provides a scripting interface to do what you're after.
2010-04-22 09:41:18 UTC
Hi Murray,

Thanks for the response. I did do a google search before posting. Most of
the resources were about the libmiter package and developing milters using
the milter API. I was interested in the actual communication between the MTA
and a milter. Only related page I could find was,
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/AVAR/Sendmail-PMilter-0.98/doc/milter-protocol.txt

However, as I mentioned earlier, the response commands such as 's', 'i' are
not documented in this page.

The wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milter) does mentions
that "documentation of the protocol used for communication between sendmail
and milter processes is not provided. This internal protocol is subject to
changes in new sendmail versions." Probably the responses I am receiving are
introduced in later sendmail versions.

Any other relavent documentation you are aware of will be helpful.

Thanks,
Murray S. Kucherawy
2010-04-22 17:13:13 UTC
It looks like that milter-protocol.txt document is slightly out of date, but it is otherwise pretty accurate.

The only other documentation I know of is the source code itself. You'd have to trace it back into libmilter/mfdef.h to find out what each represents (they appear to be "skip" and "insheader"), and then for the format of the associated messages, check sendmail/milter.c to see how the MTA will decode them.

(I remember adding "insheader" myself when I still worked there, and "skip" came sometime later.)

Elanchezhiyan Elango